Frequently Asked Questions
- Enrolled as a student or home-schooled within the boundaries of Rotary District 5630 which extends from Grand Island, NE in the east, Kimball, NE in the West and from the South Dakota to Kansas boarders in the North and South and all points in between
- Enrolled as a student or home-schooled within the boundaries of Rotary District 5610
- Currently a sophomore or junior in high school may apply.
- A student applying during their sophomore year who is not accepted may reapply during their junior year.
- A student can only attend as a participant once.
- Students selected must commit to full participation in the program and attend camp on all dates.
- No late arrivals to RYLA camp or early departures from RYLA camp will be allowed. No exceptions.
- Participants must have a desire to develop and utilize leadership skills.
- The number of students selected depends on the number of awards the local Rotary Club has available to give out for the year.
- All students, regardless of their current GPA in school or current stage of leadership development, are encouraged to apply. Having a parent or relative who is a Rotarian does not increase your likelihood of attending.
The local Rotary Club in each community will review applications in confidence. Each student will be invited to an interview with local Rotarians which will take place sometime in the month of March. The number of students selected from each community will depend on the number of awards the local Rotary Club has to give out. All applicants will be notified in writing no later than April 15 of their acceptance in the program.
Students who are selected to participate will submit a health history including a physical that must have been taken within one year prior to the last day of RYLA. Health histories and physicals are due no later than June 1.
Please examine your calendar and consider your availability before submitting your application. You MUST attend all days of camp RYLA. Camp begins at 11:00 am on SUNDAY July 9, 2023 and ends around 12:00 pm on THURSDAY July 13, 2023. Students selected should understand that if they back out of RYLA, the local Rotary Club will not be refunded the money for their award, and the applicant and parents will be responsible for 1/2 total participation fee to their sponsoring club.
Selected students are expected to make a presentation to the Rotary Club that gave them the award and to assist in additional program presentations, as the student’s schedule will allow, during the year following the student’s attendance at RYLA.
Selected students will also be expected to do a leadership project upon coming back to from RYLA.
Participation in RYLA program has no cost to the individual participants. The funding for each award is provided by the local Rotary Club and has a value of $400 per participant.
Since the devastating fire at the Nebraska State 4-H Camp in 2022, Great Plains RYLA 2023 will be at Maranatha Camp & Retreat Center in Maxwell, NE. The 2023 Camp begins at 11:00 am and ends at 12:00 pm. The 2023 dates will be SUNDAY July 9 – Thursday July 13.
Transportation will be provided by the students sponsoring Rotary Club. Students are not allowed to drive themselves to or from camp or have a vehicle at camp.
Local Rotary Club information can be obtained by contacting your nearest RYLA Representative.