Frequently Asked Questions
Head Junior Counselor – A student who previously attended RYLA in the last three years who has served two years as a Junior Counselor. Two spots available.
Sidekick to Head Junior Counselor – A student who previosly attended RYLA in the last three years who has serve two years as a Junior Counselor. One spot available.
Junior Counselor – A student who previously attended Great Plains RYLA preferably within the last 3 years. Can volunteer for up to two years after RYLA. Ten spots available.
Senior Counselor – Any Rotarian with or without prior RYLA experience. Ten spots available.
- You must have attended RYLA as a participant
- Must be at least 21 years of age or younger
- Must agree to complete a criminal background check upon acceptance as a Junior Counselor if you are 18 years of age or older at the time of the first day of RYLA (3rd Week in July)
- Must attend all dates of Great Plains RYLA (Beginning in the early evening of the 3rd Tuesday in July for five days. Ends in mid-afternoon on day five; no late arrivals or leaving early)
- The two major needs for Junior Counselors are to enable young adults to continue their leadership development and to ensure the fulfillment of the goals for the RYLA participants. To this end, RYLA will each hold a mandatory Counselor Training session (dates to be announced), located at a central location for all staff. You must attend this training in order to be an Senior Counselor at RYLA.
- You must be a Rotarian in good standing with your club or be recommended by a Rotarian in District 5630
- Must be at least 21 years of age or older
- Must agree to complete a criminal background check upon acceptance as a Senior Counselor.
- Must attend all dates of Great Plains RYLA (Beginning in the early morning of the 3rd Week in July for five days. Ends in mid-afternoon on day five; no late arrivals or leaving early)
- The two major needs for Senior Counselors are to enable young adults to continue their leadership development and to ensure the fulfillment of the goals for the RYLA participants.
- Have demonstrated excellent leadership skills and the ability to motivate youth
- Support and stay in communication with the junior counselor you are paired with to develop your team dynamic as well as the individual RYLArian’s skills
- Attend all activities with you team
- Oversee the safety of the junior counselor and the team
- Help make connections between RYLA and Rotary
- Serve as a mentor to the junior counselor and the RYLArian’s
- Enforce team rules and implement necessary consequences. Any issues that extend beyond group dynamics need to be reported to the RYLA chair
- Assist the junior counselor in facilitating all activities and group discussions as necessary
- Accomplish any tasks that require leaving the group temporarily; the junior counselor should never leave the team
- Maintain communication with the RYLA chair
There is no cost to volunteer other than transportation to and from camp and any meals on the way up and the way back. Also the cost to drive to and from training. Any other costs associated with serving as a volunteer are included as a part of the student fees to attend.
Those wanting to serve as a Senior Counselors need to have no prior experience. Those with no experience will be matched up with a Junior Counselor with previous experience.
Those wnting to serve as Junior Counselors need to have no prior experience other than just having attended RYLA within the last 3 years.
If you have questions, you may direct them to the Rotary Club RYLA Chair in your community. If you are unable to reach that individual or have questions they cannot answer, you may contact the Great Plains RYLA Chair